Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Quest for Beauty

Torrents of time,
Biased, unkind.
As I weakened,
Immortal, it shined.
Jibes my age,
Cruelly reflecting,
Disease of eld
Slowly infecting.
No trace of beauty
Left within,
Wrinkles suffuse,
Ruckle my skin.
Crippled by time,
My body it taunts.
Its deathlessness,
It wickedly flaunts.
Reflects my frame
And humiliates.
The sight of self,
Infuriates.
Propelled by fury,
I obliterate
The mirror of truth,
I decimate.
Countless mirrors
Adorn the floor.
Sum of the parts,
Hurt even more.
A million shards
Now laugh at me.
Magnify
My agony.
My ugliness
Now multiplied,
Each piece of mirror,
With glee reviled.
Driven insane,
Let out a scream;
At sixty I crave,
Beauty of teen.
I long for something,
Well in my past.
Mourned the beauty,
That did not last.
It’s not my skin
That the mirror mocks.
The object of jest,
My shallow thoughts.
Bewitched by blasé
Depravity;
Perished in self-
Vanity.
A withered corpse;
In death I rest.
A wasted life;
In beauty's quest.

No comments: